Engineers are prepared to solve a part of the world’s most pressing challenges in distinctive, systematic ways. If you want to nurture a combination of creative, analytical, technical, and imaginative skills, engineering is right for you. Engineering is a very interesting study program and the alumni of the degree are demanded hardly at the job market. The main programs of this subject are Engine Building, Electrical Engineering, Computer Sciences, Industrial Engineering and Building or Architecture.
When we hear the country name Germany, we immediately think about the best cars in the world, safe and modern roads, and all kind of technological revolutions. All these are the outcome of huge research and developments in the Engineering and Technology field made in Germany. So, it’s quite clear for any foreign student who looks for an Engineering degree to first think about his or her Master’s degree in Germany.
Why is Germany best for Engineering?
Popular Engineering Programs in Germany
There are numerous programs available with different specialisations in Germany. Some of them are as follows-
- Transportation Engineering.
- Industrial Engineering.
- Robotics Engineering.
- Mechatronics Engineering.
- Information Technology.
- Computer science/Engineering.
- Aerospace Engineering.
- Automobile Engineering.
- Civil Engineering.
- Electrical Engineering.
- Automotive Engineering.
- Mechanical Engineering.
Germany offers Masters Degree in the following types
Universities of Applied Sciences – are focused on business, engineering and social sciences. In many cases, they are in partnership with commercial or professional organizations. More often than not, these universities do not award PhDs. Except when they are partnered with an organization for the sole purpose of delivering specialized PhD programs. A great number of Universities of Applied Sciences are private institutions.
Research Universities – are higher education institutions providing facilities and academic expertise to award students with degrees like Master’s and PhD. Most of Research Universities are publicly administered.
Colleges of Art, Film and Music – are peculiar in offering instructions in the creative disciplines. They can be part of both, Research Universities or Universities of Applied Sciences. Some of these Universities operate independently. The candidates are required to possess creative skills and experience.
Technical Universities – are a sub-group of research universities, as their focus is on science, technology, and engineering disciplines.
Master’s Program types and course structure –
Germany follows the Bologna Process of study, which means standard three-cycle degree format.
Public Universities in Germany
Every public university sets up their own:-
- degree programs,
- examinations, and
- entry requirements.
The state controls
- fee policy and quality control, as well as
- accreditation of courses – so that they meet high academic standards.
Private Universities in Germany
Private universities are free to set their own fees – higher than the public universities – but, the degrees granted are fully recognized and they do meet appropriate quality standards.
Procedure to study Medical PG in Germany
Medical PG in Germany after MBBS in India is one of the best overseas Medical PG option though it is a bit complex. This proves to be a rescue hand for many Indian MBBS Students who couldn’t crack exams like AIPGMEE/NEET PG and hence seek to take a older step in the interest of their passion.
Also, the procedure to pursue Medical PG in Germany holds with itself few challenges to be accomplished. And this is why you need to start preparing 2 years prior to your PG program in Germany. And it is worth the hard work, because the opportunities you will be getting after completing Medical PG in Germany would be something you can call phenomenal.
- The medical PG program in Germany is governed by German Medical Council. The first step of your journey to Medical PG in Germany would be to learn A1 and A2 levels of German language.
- Get the admission letter from a government approved test and language learning center for TELC B2 & TELC C1 (Normal and standard B2 and C1 level would not be sufficient)
- After completing all these steps, you got to study the German language up to C1 level in Germany. Next, get a confirmed observer-ship from a German hospital recognized by German Medical Council. The observer-ship would last for a period of 1 month. Moreover, it could be extended to 6 months and further if required.
- Go through the “Approbation System” in which you register yourself as a German Medical practitioner with German Medical licensing authorities.
- You are required to manage the residency on their own immediately after the observer-ship and Approbation system.
- Since you have completed 1 year of Masters program, you gain the eligibility of work search permit which lasts for 18 months.
After completing all these steps, You have finally done PG and you’re good to go and grab the opportunities that comes along your way.
Certain basic requirements and skillset essential for a candidate when looking to study in Germany
- While German language skills are mandatory for the specific program taught in German, it is highly recommended that all students have some basic elementary knowledge of the language to ease out their stay in the country.
- Knowledge of programming languages like Java, Python, etc. is an added advantage when applying for Computer Engineering or related streams.
- Strong analytical skills with an impressive knowledge of related subjects like Mathematics, Physics; Biology, Mechanics, etc. cultures.
Admission Requirements to study Engineering in Germany
The entry requirements for studying German taught degree in Engineering is as follows: –
Eligibility criteria for students to apply for Masters of Enggineering admission in Germany
- Scanned and translated copies of official transcripts (if not in English).
- SOP for Germany(max 2 pages; highly essential especially from the perspective of interviews).
- LOR(two to three).
- Updated CV/Resume.
- English proficiency scores like IELTS or TOEFL.
- Candidates might have to appear for an interview (depends on the choice of course and university).
- Job references (required for candidates with professional experience; should include CEO’s signature)
- Work Experience of 1 to 3 years is highly recommended. It is a mandatory criteria for some institutes.
- A GPA of5 to 3.0 (~78-86%) or more.
- A 3-4 year bachelor’s degree in related fields or equivalent.
Required Documents to take admission for Engineering in Germany
Masters in Engineering in Germany Visa Requirements
For all the international applicants applying for MS in Engineering in Germany, it is highly mandatory to obtain a relevant visa for studying in the country. The process for obtaining a German Student Visa is compiled as follows:
- Complete the online application form and schedule an interview with the nearest German embassy.
- Standard Application Fee 75 EUR.
- Time Required to obtain a German Student Visafrom 3 to 12 months.
Intakes/ Deadlines to Get Engineering admission in Germany
There are two intakes in Germany, mainly September and March Intake.
- The deadline for March intake is around October/November.
- The deadline for September intake is around April/May.
Students applying for the foundation course have to apply earlier because the entrance test is usually in January for March intake and in June/July for September intake
Why study Engineering in Germany?
Germany has always been the head of research, centres of research and German universities have always worked closely with companies and industries and developed close symbiotic and strategic relationships. Which gives students thrilling opportunities to use the skills they learn in Engineering degree courses in real life scenarios to solve real problems.
The German technical universities are always acknowledged for their important contributions in the Engineering field and are also present in all reputed university rankings. Indian students can apply for the 18-month post-study work permit in Germany after completion of their studies, and use this to find jobs related to their area of specialisation. To obtain the permit, students are required to present the following documents at the foreign nationals’ registration office:
- Proof of health insurance.
- Your Master’s degree.
- Scholarship documents.
- A valid Indian passport.
Masters in Engineering in Germany with Scholarships
Germans believe in non-commercialization of education and thus provide affordable education with a variety of awards and scholarships. With the tuition fee as low as that in Germany, any deserving meritorious student can actually study in the country for almost free after availing the loads of studentship opportunities that the nation offers.
Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation Scholarships– Indian students pursuing PG or doctoral programs in Germany or other European countries.
Bhajan Lal Scholarship– amount Varies (up to full educational expenses) Candidates studying MSc, MPhil or Ph.D.courses in India or abroad
DAAD Scholarships- International students enrolled in PG or doctoral program in Germany. 85% average score; relevant experience.
Heinrich Boll Scholarships – Merit-based award for international students pursuing UG, PG or doctoral program in Germany.
JN Tata Endowment Scholarship- Indian applicants applying for higher education abroad.
Bharat Petroleum Scholarship- Merit-based award for Indian candidates enrolling in a foreign university.
Heinrich Boll Scholarships in Germany for International Students– International candidates looking to pursue a Masters or Ph.D. Degree in Germany.
Paul Foundation scholarships– Indian candidates enrolled in a PG or doctoral program in the country. Short courses and diploma are also included.